Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

funemployment

I am unemployed, y'all.

Since the time between completing my classes for grad school and moving away is only a few months, instead of finding a short-term job here in Boston I have been focusing on applying for jobs in Mississippi, finishing wedding planning and planning the move/house searching. Which all keeps me fairly busy but doesn't change the fact that when I have to fill out forms and list my employer, I have none.

Okay okay, technically I'm not unemployed because I am searching for work to begin at a specific time in the future, not at this very moment. But I like to say I am unemployed, mostly because it's the only time I'll be able to do so without being utterly terrified by the prospect.

Being unemployed has turned me into some kind of hybrid of a stay-at-home-mom, college dropout and crazy old lady. This is how I spend my days:

Cooking, cleaning, crafting – Heavy on the cooking and crafting and less so on the cleaning. Because cleaning sucks.

Never putting on real clothes – Although I haven't invested in a velour jumpsuit (you know, YET), I spend the majority of my days in plaid pajama pants, a large T and a sweatshirt I got at Disneyworld when we were caught in a sudden rainstorm. Sometimes I put on jeans. The upside of this is that I have much less laundry to do. The downside is that Brian usually comes home, sees what I have on and sighs. Not with lust.

Talking to Penny – Although I have been a card-carrying member of the crazy cat lady society since approximately birth and therefore no stranger to talking to my pets, I have recently begun to ask Penny legitimate questions as if she could give me an answer, like "What do you think of this shirt?" or "Should I do Kenpo or Plyometrics today?" It's an issue.

Internet research – This includes reading the news both national and Mississippian, poring through house listings on Craigslist and the most important research of all: Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment