Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

On the First Day of Christmas

It's that time again... time to begin planning, purchasing and packaging the best presents I can possibly procure (suck on THAT alliteration!). Yes, that's right, its beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. And I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but let's face it, most stores started stocking Christmas merchandise the minute temperatures got below 72*, so I'm just not fighting it this year. In the spirit of gift giving and receiving, over the next month and a half I will be counting down some of the most ridiculous, dumbest, WTFiest and/or most awesome things the internet has to offer, Christmas-carol style. Here we go!

On the first day of Christmas
my true love gave to me
an ornament of yummy sushi!

There are lots of traditions around Christmas, from the time the tree goes up (the day after Thanksgiving, without fail) to what we eat Christmas morning (coffee cake, which is prepped before any gifts get opened and then cooks during the unwrapping bonanza and then is eaten as we sit amid piles of paper and bows and shiny new presents) to certain gifts we get. It is a tradition in my family to get a new ornament, or two, or five, each year commemorating something special that happened that year - some big occasion or fun family trip or life-changing event. Over the years, this has turned our tree into a quirky, colorful hodgepodge of memories. Decorating the Christmas tree each year is like taking a little trip through time. As I hang each one, I remember visiting the Monterey aquarium or joining the basketball team that one year or starting school at Millsaps or all the fun I’ve had with my sorority family.

With all that has occurred this year, there are a plethora of ornament options. Graduating college, moving to big city Boston, starting grad school at BU – I’m sure one of these will result in another ornament to add to the tree and every year hereafter when I nestle it among the branches, I will remember this year.

But you know… sometimes a girl just wants some sushi. Because sushi is awesome.

Category(s): awesome (obviously)

[Find it HERE]

* Except for the Hobby Lobby in Jackson, MS, which already had at least three aisles of Christmas decorations up in July. 

No comments:

Post a Comment